Friday, October 3, 2008

Jesus: Authority and Power; Faith

Try as I might I'm afraid that I would have been cowering in Jesus' robes during the storm._ Mark 4:39-40. I like to think I'm full of faith but when I think of the persecution that Christians have endured from the beginning to present, I'm so thankful that my faith has never been tested to the extreme.
JESUS: AUTHORITY AND POWER

There are many examples of Jesus' authority, but I'll just mention one of my favorites. Jesus and the disciples are in a boat crossing the sea of Galilee. A storm arises suddenly and what was placid becomes violent--monstrous waves rise out of the sea and slap the boat...

...The very storm which made the disciples panic made him drowsy. What put fear in their eyes put him to sleep. The boat was a tomb to the followers and a cradle to Christ. How could he sleep through the storm? Simple, he was in charge of it.

"Jesus stood up and commanded the wind and said to the waves, 'Quiet! Be still!' Then the wind stopped, and it became completely calm. Jesus said to his followers, 'Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?'" (Mark 4:39-40).

Incredible. He doesn't chant a mantra or wave a wand. No angels are called, no help is needed. The raging water becomes a stilled sea, instantly. Immediate calm. Not a ripple. Not a drop. Not a gust. In a moment the sea goes from a churning torrent to a peaceful pond. The reaction of the disciples? Read it in verse 41: "The followers were very afraid and asked each other, 'Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!' " (From The Great House of God by Max Lucado)

Most mighty God who is so powerful that even the wind and waves obey your voice. Help us not to be afraid when the storms of life toss us about like a ship upon water. Help us to call out to you and be confident in you power to still our storms. Bring us peace so as you rest in your presence. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment