Friday, September 14, 2012

God's winks...like Mother, like daughter!

God's winks...like Mother, like daughter!
My youngest daughter, Danielle, has grown into a beautiful young woman. She's a wonderful mom and wife. When Danielle was about 4 I realized I needed to enter her into pre-school. She had been home with me and was not very sociable. Where my older 2 children entered a room with bright smiles and happy chatter, Danielle entered a room with her face resembling a storm cloud with eyes filled with lightening bolts. A friend once commented that she was my child from the dark side.
It took close to an hour the first day to get Danielle dressed for pre-school. She was flat out refusing to go. I finally let her wear her bathing suit under her clothes as a compromise. While I was signing her in at the door she disappeared. The entire school went on alert hunting for her. I found her in the car with all the doors locked. It took a bribe of eating lunch at the "Ben Franklin" to finally enticed her to unlock the doors. This was the beginning of years of battles to get her to go to school.
 We had battled every morning for weeks. Each morning ended with both of us in tears. She managed to miss the bus every morning. I'd drive her to school only to then battle to get her out of the car once we got to the school. The teacher would call encouraging words from the porch of the school once I got her there.
One memorable morning, Rick, my oldest son. told me, "Go in the house Mom, I'll get her on the bus". I closed the garage door watching him lug his book bag, a musical instrument case, Danielle's book bag with Danielle tucked under his arn to catch the bus. It kinda reminded me of a homeless man in Washington D.C. trying to lug all his belongings from one place to another.
The entire family worked at finding creative ways to get Danielle to go to school. It took her 6 months to get a week of stars on the calender to have lunch at McDonalds and almost a year to get her ears pierced.
I'm glad Danielle couldn't see my smile yesterday when she called. Apparently, Danielle's 4 year old daughter, Kyla, hates school. They have had to battle with her every morning to get her to go. I feel Danielle's pain very well, but I also feel God's wink!


6 comments:

  1. I must say she is the most strong willed and stubborn child out of your five!!! We admire her and live her! It makes us even more proud of the lady and mother she is today! Love the God's wink!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story! Keep the blogs coming. I enjoy the historical information and the life stories. -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Rick guy must be pretty awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete