Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Through the eyes of a 2 year old...

I took my grandaughter for a walk around the lakes at Oglebay. I had forgotten how magnificent the world looks through the eyes of a 2 year old. Her face was an incredible explosion of expression. Her eyes twinkled, and her mouth would turn up in delight at the amazement of the simplest things. I thought I'd share some of her comments on our exursion.
There was only one gaggle of geese at the lakes yesterday but they were noisy and argumentative. Kel's was totally memorizes until they decided to bring their disputes to us. When the geese came ashore bickering back and forth Kel's looked at me and said. "Mum let's walk quietly away." She then started tip toeing away with her finger on her lips.
Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera.
 A bit further down the path we saw a turtle on a rock with his neck stretched towards the sun. He resembled bathing beauties everywhere. The sun filtering through the trees had him spotlighted on the rock. Kel's asked me, "Is he singing Mum?" With that our singing bathing beauty became an Olympic swimmer and dove into the lake...
On the path between the 2 lakes we watched a chipmunk scurrying through the fallen leaves. To me his travels looked random. To Kel's he looked as if he was playing hide and seek. She laughingly told me that he he didn't hide very well.
The upper lake is smaller. Yesterday it was geese free. Kels seemed to find this lake much more to her liking. She noticed that the leaves were falling off the trees. She asked, "Mum, why is the tree losing the leaves?" I explained that autumn was coming and trees were getting ready for winter. She replied, "Ok, its cold in winter right?" I said. "Yes." She grinned and said, "I like winter."
When we left the upper lake and started down the path to Schenk lake she took my hand and said, "I dont want to lose you." I looked down at her wondering what she could ,mean. Her and I were the only 2 people on the path. I said ok and asked, "How is this path busy?". She pulled me down and said, "Look." There were ants and other bugs all over the path. They were scurrying everywhere. I laughed at her and agreed that the path was very, very busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment