Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Rainy Days, Umbrellas and Banana Bread!

It's a rainy dreary day!


The day started with the boys wanting to know where the umbrellas were located. This was a good question. I had looked in the proper home for the umbrellas but it was empty. I have found over the years that umbrellas can be used for many inventive purposes but typically not for keeping dry. And once they disappear from their proper home you might as well buy new ones.
The most common use for an umbrella I have found is self-defense. The umbrella is perfect for beating your brother or sister over the head. If beating over the head doesn't work than stabbing in the gut or a swift blow to the back of the knees will work. The idea being to incapacitate the victim before they can retaliate.
I have seen my boys use umbrellas frequently for sparring. King Arthur's knights had nothing on my boys when it comes to sparring. One hand in the air the other holding the umbrella, jumping in and out stabbing at each other. The only thing missing is the medievil garb with plumed hats.
Umbrellas also make perfect roofs for club houses. This involves breaking off the pesky handle and lodging the ferrules into the frame of the club house. *Note: Ferrule is the tip of the umbrella. No, I didn't know the technical name but I looked it up on www.answerbag.com.
One of my favorite all time uses is the parachute. This involves a child leaping from a ledge with an open umbrella. Yelling "stop" has never deterred a single child from following through on this endeavor. I have learned that whispering a prayer that the ferrule doesn't stab an eye is probably a usage of time and breath.
Umbrellas are also perfect for stabbing at tree limbs to loosen stuck balls or frisbees.
I didn't waste anytime hunting for the missing umbrellas but I did offer to ride them to the bus stop. Apparently its more cool to stand in the rain then have your mother ride you to the bus stop!

I didn't argue it gave me more time for my favorite rainy day pastime, snuggling back into the covers and reading a book!

My Mom baked banana nut bread over the weekend. This is a smell that when baking makes a rainy day feel much better!
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 eggs, beaten

2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; lumps are expected. Pour batter into pan. Bake for aprox. 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Turn pan on side and allow to coll for about 10 minutes. Then gently remove from pan.

Visit the food networks's site for more recipes .http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/banana-bread-recipe/index.html

Umbrellas for insects!
My friend, Brenda found this incredibly cute idea for umbrellas:


















No comments:

Post a Comment