Saturday, September 15, 2012

Weddings...and wedding cookies!

Most people immediately recognize the song within the first few notes and everyone loves to watch the exquiste bride as she floats down the aisle. There is such joy and love on this special day. Everyone anticipates the tears of the bride, the bride’s maids, the parents and other close friends. Likewise we all know that the groom has the jitters and most of his line is very nervous about standing in front of the crowd. Whatever mistakes they make are acceptable and part of the memories.
Today I'm participating in my first wedding in the learning capacity. I'm blessed that I was asked if I wanted to be a part of it. Pastor Doug is a magnificent person to have the opportunity learn from. He's shared every part of this experience with me so that going forward I have a good foundation.
What about the pastor? Is this their first wedding? Do they have the shakes so bad they can barely talk or hold their Bible? What happens if they make a mistake or if something goes wrong in the service?
Even seasoned pastors can make mistakes and need to be prepared to adjust the program to overcome a challenge. Let’s be honest, there is pressure on the pastor as they are viewed as the key person who has control over the service and is expected to make it perfect.  What will you do if someone stands and objects to the couple being married? What will you do if someone in the line passes out? I've been in, gone to many many weddings I can't remember the pastor, priest, reverend ever making a mistake. This worries me. In a few weeks I'll be participating in my first wedding. I worry that I'll be the first pastor in my memory to make a mistake. The upside...Pastor Doug is doing the officiating so hopefully I'll also learn how to handle that as well. Its a beautiful day for a wedding. God is smiling down on this couple!
My favorite cookies at the reception will always be Wedding Cookies! Yum...

 WEDDING COOKIES
Ingredients:
1 stick butter (room temperature)
4 tbsp. powdered sugar
1 cup  flour
1 cup of finely chopped walnuts
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Powder Sugar for rolling in about a cup.
Directions:
Cream butter and sugar; add vanilla. Stir nuts into flour; add to butter and sugar mixture, mixing well. Roll into shape of ball. Bake 12-14 minutes, until done. While still hot, roll in powdered sugar.
My Jessica last year.





No comments:

Post a Comment